Victorian Maritime Centre
The centre is currently housed in the Crib Point terminal building.
This is due to the great support given by Shell Australia.
Many goverment ministers and there officials, state and federal, the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, mayors and councillors, have all given there support to this venture over the past 10 years .
With their continued support this project will be a great success.
The people of the Mornington Peninsula and the State of Victoria, have been in total support of the project as a viable stream of income to help the area, as well as a World Class Tourist Attraction of which the area is definately in need of.
A permanent site is still to be confirmed as the home for the proposed Maritime Centre.
An independent report on the project about 10 years ago said:
- The Maritime Centre is expected to be a major tourist attraction for the region and employ around 40 people.
- On an estimated 50,000 visitors per annum. The following figures have been conservatively estimated.
- Revenue for the attraction at more than $4.5M with around $1.3M benefiting the local community.
- 40 permanent and casual jobs.
- Traineeships for the tourism industry.
NOTE: Due to the lapsed time since this report, the revenue would be considersbly higher.
Also, experience with similar projects interstate has provided a significantly increased attentance figure.